Gordon began in 1864 with the founding of the community of Hampton, Texas. The town of Gordon was planned by the Texas and Pacific Railway one mile south of Hampton in 1874. The new town was named Gordon after the civil engineer responsible for surveying the town-site land. The railroad was built through the area in 1880. The first classes at the Gordon School were held in 1882, and the post office opened on 17 October 1883 with local businessman Robert Rogan serving as the community's first postmaster.
In the U.S. Census of 1920, the burgeoning community reported 1,000 residents; but the effects of the Great Depression brought prosperity to a halt, and by 1960 there were fewer than 500 people living in Gordon.
Photo Courtesy: www.gordontexas.com